Seed of Hope

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Africa




I always knew Africa was big, but this is really big. It took 11 hours to fly from London to Johannesburg. Right in the middle of it, I got out of the plane to take this picture from space...(ok, I'm kidding, but the 3D tracker is a cool piece of technology).  The others have done an excellent job describing our surroundings, so let me share with you something that stirs within me: Ebola.  No I don't have it; we're not near it and no one I know has it. However, for the last number of weeks the way in which we (in the west) have been talking about it has bothered me, but it didn't seem like very many people were willing to actually have a conversation about it.

One thing I did this evening was purchase a couple of local newspapers. In one of them was an excellent article written by Ishmael Beah. A few years ago he wrote a biographical must read for all adolescents called A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier.  Let me encourage you to read this article and get an African perspective on the Ebola crisis and also a perspective on the potential that our western media, at times, can have to cause more separation between people.

It's a little strange to think I'm in Africa and yet it seems like the perfect place to be right now, because I just know that God has been at work in great ways here and our team gets to witness it first hand.  Thanks for praying for us along the way.

Lalani Kahle (Good Night)

Deve

3 comments:

  1. read the article....so articulate and so very true...soak it all in PD and see what God will do! we are praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. read article too...fear of the unknown paralyzes us... appreciate his explanation of why his people are not trusting of organizations and government; we don't understand but we can pray. thanks for bringing this to our attention Deve.

    ReplyDelete