Seed of Hope

Thursday 2 October 2014

Beauty in Unexpected Places

When you are confronted with hard situations, it's often difficult to see that even in the midst of what we see as horrific, there is incredible beauty.

Today, Les and I travelled around with Musa.  Musa is one of the Zulu staff members, and his job is to connect with young people both in the Seed of Hope centre and also in the local schools.  Getting to know Musa has been a delight.  His sense of humour and deep love for God draws people to him.

 And his laugh!.... Let's just say I've found a kindred spirit when it comes to enjoying a good chuckle.  You just can't be sad around Musa- he is a bright shining light for God here.


So we visited some of the schools he works in and I want to tell you about the first one.  It is located very close to SoH in the township of Bhekulwandle.  The conditions there are quite shocking as you can see...goats roam freely (and leave evidence of their visits to the classrooms...IN the classrooms), windows are broken, and the schoolyard contains the ruins of someone's former house.  And yet, Musa loves it here!









So do the teachers you see here with me.  They were so excited to meet some Canadians!  They laughed with us and hugged us like we were long lost friends.  I don't know if they were believers, but if I had to guess I would say that yes they were.

It was just so striking that in the midst of what I, looking through my North American lenses saw as ruins and hopelessness, these women were happy, proud and excited to greet us and tell us about their school.

Wow... I have so much to learn.

angela

No comments:

Post a Comment